- Tips for eating well during the holidays Holidays are a time to enjoy food with family and friends. This holiday, choose foods that are kidney-friendly and be mindful of your serving size.
- Choose a smaller plate to help control serving sizes.
- Sip your drink slowly to help manage fluids.
- Limit your salt and salty food.
- Remember to take your phosphorus binders with your meal. They play an important role to keep your levels balanced.
- Choose protein first! Aim for 3–5 ounces of turkey, chicken, fish or another food high in protein.
- your meal with a great dessert choice including apple, cherry, peach pie or cobbler.
- Pound cake and sugar cookies are also delicious selections.
- Want more of your holiday favorites? Wait 10 minutes and if you are still hungry, go back for more protein.
- Offer to bring a dish to share that will be healthy for you, and great for everyone.
- Cook your holiday foods from scratch to decrease the sodium content often found in pre-made foods.